Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Sculpting Hands

Some of the hardest things that I have come found to sculpt are hands and eyes. I don't know why, they are just shapes like anything else but for some reason they always present themselves as a challenge. I have a little technique that I will share with you that I use for most of the hands that I sculpt but keep in mind that this is not the only method that you can use to sculpt hands.

The technique that I use does not require an armature which has its advantages and disadvantages. I've have used and armature in the past but the problem I found is when I decided later on in the sculpting to move the fingers. The fingers can still be moved when using an armature but the detail work can sometimes get damaged in the process. The disadvantage sculpting hands without an armature is that you do not get the additional support that an armature provides. If the hand you are sculpting is just hanging by the side it really is not an issue, however if your character is holding something like a sword it can then be a problem.

Read More (photo images included)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home